Are Navel Oranges Good for Juicing?
It may come as no surprise to you that the classic sweet Navel Orange (such as Pittman & Davis’s own Navel Oranges) is the world’s most popular orange variety. You probably already know they’re great for snacking on. But are they good for juicing?
Juice from Navel Oranges
The answer to that question is a qualified “yes” – with a vibrant, sweet-but-not-too-sweet flavor, Navel Orange juice is delicious. The drawback, however, is that you can’t store it for long or it will become bitter – in fact, Navel Orange juice is at its best the same day it’s squeezed.
So if you decide to make brunch some Sunday morning and have fresh Navel Oranges on hand you can make into juice to enjoy that morning, go for it! But if you’re hoping to squeeze a batch of juice you can store in the fridge for a few days, you’re probably better off going with Valencia oranges. Their amazing flavor makes Valencia oranges the world’s most popular for juicing, and the fact that it holds up in the fridge without becoming bitter adds to its appeal.
Just remember, you can make great juice with any orange, but you may need to be selective about the variety if you plan on storing your finished product.
What Sweet Navel Oranges are Good For
The perfect balance of sweet and tangy, not too drippy and easy to peel, seedless Navel Oranges are perfect for eating out of hand. In fact, the Navel Orange (so-called for its “belly-button” orange navel at the stem end of the fruit) is arguably the best citrus fruit for peeling and eating fresh. A Navel Orange (seedless can be incorporated in many recipes, too, from salds to smoothies. And for those who love oranges, gift boxes containing navel oranges, seedless and sweet, are always a welcome surprise.
There are many reasons for adding Navel Oranges, but here are five of our favorites:
- Navel Oranges are a great source of fiber – in fact, one large navel orange contains around 18% of your recommended daily intake. Fiber has many health benefits including lowering cholesterol, weight control and improving digestive health.
- Micronutrients are made up of vitamins and minerals that our body needs to stay healthy and active. One large Navel Orange can provide up to 100% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, which is beneficial for the repair and growth of body tissue. Navel Oranges are also a good source of potassium, which helps lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart disease. Folate and thiamine can also be found in Navel Oranges.
- Citric acid. Citrus fruits are high in citric acid and citrates, which gives them their tangy taste. Citric acid has been linked to the prevention of kidney stone formation. Citrates are found to have similar properties to potassium citrate, which is prescribed to patients with kidney stones.
- Skin benefits. The high levels of vitamin C in Navel Oranges can also have positive benefits for your skin. Vitamin C is known to help repair sun damaged skin, reduce wrinkles and promote a healthier skin texture.
- Healthy heart. The potassium found in Navel Oranges can help support a healthy heart, decrease the risk of strokes and heart attacks, as well as lowering cholesterol, blood pressure and decreasing the risk of heart disease.
How to Pick a Good Orange
Before you buy Navel Oranges, make sure you know what characteristics to look for. It isn’t difficult – first off, be sure to avoid oranges that have soft spots or that feel “spongy.” Choose oranges that feel heavy for their size and have firm, finely textured skin. Don’t be scared off if you see a bit of green in the skin, either – with Navel Oranges, the color of the peel is not necessarily an indicator of ripeness, and very often oranges with green spots or an overall hue can be every bit as tasty as those with none.
And of course, if you plan to order oranges online, you can’t go wrong by going with Pittman & Davis! We hold all our fruits to the very highest standards, and take great pride in ensuring that our customers receive only the freshest and best. And if for some reason you’re not happy, we’ll not rest until we’ve made it right!