DIY – Honey Cara Cara Orange Jam
Now that Pittman & Davis Cara Cara Oranges are in season we not only get to enjoy eating this sweet delicacy out of hand or as a quick glass of juice when we need an energy boost. You will need proper canning jars and lids, and a canning pot to process finished jars in a boiling water bath. This easy, do-it-yourself jam makes between 2 to 3 pints, and is great for sharing.
- 4 pounds of Pittman & Davis Cara Cara Oranges
- 1 1/3 cups honey
- fresh juice from one lemon
- Clean and sterilize three, half-pint canning jars and lids.
- Cut off the stem ends and bottoms of each orange, then trim away the peels over a mixing bowl to catch the juice as you go. Separate the fruit’s flesh from the segment membranes and add the fruit to the bowl of juice. Crush orange pieces until a slurry is created.
- In a new bowl combine 4 cups of the fruit/juice mixture with the honey, and stir to dissolve.
- Transfer the fruit, juice, and honey mixture into a wide chef’s pan or deep skillet and heat over medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring regularly, until the mixture begins to thicken. The jam is ready when clean streaks remain briefly on the pan bottom as you stir.
- At this point, stir in the lemon juice and cook for one more minute.
- Remove pan from heat, transfer jam into cleaned jars, and cover with lids. Process closed jars in a boiling water bath for ten minutes.
- Remove jars from water bath and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Unopened jars of jam can be stored for up to a year. Opened jars should be refrigerated and used within one month. Enjoy!
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now