Apple-Pear Crisp with Peanut Butter Recipe2020-09-17
I love apples and peas and it can be a hard choice when deciding which to use for a snack or recipe. Both are juicy and sweet, plus terrifically nutritious. So what better way to eat my two favorite fruits than to use both of them when making an all-American classic Crisp topped with another American favorite food – the yummy, salty yet sweet, buttery Peanut Butter.
Imagine digging into a creamy and crispy mixture of oats and whipped cream combined with rich peanut butter and caramel flavored brown sugar. Dig a little deeper and smell the mouth-watering aroma of cinnamon and ginger mixed with soft pears and crisp apples made more delectable with added cranberries. Try this recipe the next time you need to please guests, family, or simply yourself.
How to make Apple-Pear Crisp with Peanut Butter
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Bake: 20 mins
Ready In: 35-40 mins
Yields: 6 servings
- 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
- 3 Pittman & Davis Fuji Apples
- 2 Pittman & Davis pears
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 1 cup chunky, sweetened peanut butter
- 3 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c. fat-free whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the oats in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Toast them 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-quart saucepan, combine the apples, pears, water, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sugar dissolves and fruit softens. Remove from the heat and stir in the cranberries. Divide the mixture among 6 shallow 12- to 16-ounce baking dishes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, peanut butter, and flour. Rub the mixture between your fingers to form small clumps then sprinkle it over the fruit mixture in the baking dishes. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and bubbling. To serve, top each crisp with 1 tablespoon of whipped cream.