Honeybell Orange Bars Recipe2018-12-14
Since premium honeybell season is just around the corner I would like to dedicate this post to it entirely.
Honeybell got its name from its bell-like shape and honey-sweet flavor. It is usually thought of as an orange but it is actually the result of crossbreed pollination between a Duncan grapefruit and Dancy tangerine. Thanks to its parents, honeybells are prized for their unique and intense sweet, tart flavor and terrifically succulent, juicy flesh.
Aside from their awesome taste, honeybells like other citrus fruits are packed with healthy vitamins and minerals that can boost our immune system and help our bodies ward off diseases like cough, colds, and other illnesses.
There are different ways to eat honeybells. They make a great snack (messy because of its high juice content) but great nonetheless. Aside from eating out of hand, you can juice them, toss them in a salad, and also use them as an ingredient when making pies, cakes and other dishes. Try this easy recipe for Honeybell Orange Bars and enjoy their scrumptious flavor,
How to make Honeybell Orange Bars
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready In: 1 hr, 5 mins
Yields: 24 servings
For the crust
- 1/2 lb. butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Pittman & Davis Honeybells, juice and zest
- 3 c. sugar
- 1 c. flour
- In a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the flour and salt and continue mixing until a ball of dough forms. Press dough into an ungreased 13×9 inch pan. Flour your fingertips to make it easier. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, yolks, sugar, orange zest, and juice of 3 oranges (should be 1 c. of juice, if not, top it up with OJ.) Whisk in flour til combined. Pour mixture on top of prebaked crust. Return to oven and continue baking at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, then cut into bars. Refrigerate if there are any left over.