Here’s a nice change from lemon meringue pie! The honey-sweetness of the Pittman & Davis Honeybells is set off beautiful by a hint or warming spiced chocolate for decadent dessert that’s light and refreshing.
- 4 egg yolks
- 12 oz. condensed milk, sweetened
- 4 oz. fresh-squeezed Pittman & Davis Honeybells
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked pie shell or 4 (3-inch) pie shells
- ½ c. egg whites
- 7 oz. granulated sugar
- 1 oz. cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 pinch hot chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Whip egg yolks until thickened. Add condensed milk, then slowly add juice and vanilla bean; mix well until blended. Pour mixture into pre-baked shell and bake 8 -10 minutes. When finished baking, allow to cool and set aside in refrigerator.
- For the meringue, dissolve egg whites and sugar together over a double boiler. Whip on high speed until volume increases and meringue has medium peaks. Add cocoa and spices and fold until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Top pie with meringue and torch meringue or place in broiler to slightly brown the top, then serve.