Southern Fried Apples Recipe2018-03-22
You might be thinking that Southern Fried Apples are deep fried but they are not. In the South, they use the word frying even though it has nothing to do with frying food in oil. Mostly, the term fried in the south simply means sautéed food in a frying pan.
For those who have not tried this classic side dish, southern fried apples have a sweet, buttery cinnamon aroma, with a tart, sweet and spiced just right taste. You can use it as side dish for from breakfast to dinner. Even throw them on top of biscuits, cornbreads or ice cream. A real comfort food to the extreme!
How to make southern fried apples
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook in: 10 mins
Ready in: 20 mins
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, stir in sugar and cinnamon.
- Add the apples and cook until they begin to release juice and break down, 5 to 8 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved and syrupy.
- Plate apples and serve searing hot!