Food Gifts for Winter Birthdays
Got a loved one with a winter birthday you want to treat? You’re lucky – winter is when some of the rarer, more exotic delicious citrus fruits are in season, so you have a chance to make a big impression with an affordable gift they’re sure to love!
Why Fruit Makes Such a Great Gift Anytime
If you think a fruit gift basket is a cop-out gift, think again.
Fruit gifts can be the best friend of those trying to find a gift for the person who has everything or is hard to shop for. Here’s why:
- First of all, fresh fruit is something almost everyone loves – and even better, it fits into almost any diet plan. Does your loved one have a peanut allergy or gluten allergy? Maybe he or she is a vegan or vegetarian. Not sure? It doesn’t matter – fruit as a food gift is almost always safe!
- Don’t have time to wrap a gift or pack it up for shipping to a friend or relative who lives at a distance? If you choose to order Sumo Citrus or buy Cara Cara oranges online from Pittman & Davis, we take care of all that for you. Your fruit is still hanging on the tree at the time you place your order so it’s always perfectly ripe and perfectly fresh. Then, we handpick it, hand-pack it so it arrives in perfect condition in an attractive box or basket and rush it to your recipient’s door so they can enjoy fresh fruit and gourmet food gifts at their very best. What could be easier?
- Fruit gifts aren’t just ideal for when you’re not sure what foods your recipient can/can’t eat…they’re also great when you’re not sure what they like! People’s tastes can change, and odds, bobs, and trinkets pile up. Your loved one may not collect china pigs anymore, they might have lost weight (meaning that sweater you sent is too big), or maybe they’re trying to downsize. Fruit is something they can enjoy, but not have to have hanging around for long.
- Fruit gifts can be shared! When you send a lovely fruit gift from Pittman & Davis, your gift goes further, because your recipient can enjoy it alone, with friends, family, or co-workers. As they enjoy your gift together, they’ll think fondly of the person who sent it (you!).
- Buying your loved ones fresh fruit as a gift is a great way to save them money and give the gift of time. Since fruit is a staple for most people, a gift of our premium fruit will be a way for your recipient to cross one more thing off the shopping list!
Winter is a Great Time to Give a Gift of Fruit!
It may be a bit of a cliché, but January is still a popular time to go on a diet. Maybe your friend or loved one has made a resolution to eat more fruit in the new year, lose weight, or cut out refined sugars. If so, fresh fruit is a spot-on birthday gift they’re sure to appreciate!
Isn’t it wonderful that some of the best, most delicious citrus fruits come into season during the winter months? Much of the US experiences weather that’s dull and gray in the wintertime, making bright Navel Oranges and Ruby Red Grapefruit as much a treat for the eyes as for the taste buds! Plus, fresh citrus’s vibrant scents are sure to chase away winter blues and evoke thoughts of the warm, Florida climes from which they hail.
Chilly, dreary winter weather can drive down the immune system and leave you at the mercy of every virus that passes through. Packed with vitamin C, citrus fruits go far towards building up your immunity, so when you give a gift of wonderfully fresh, healthy fruit (like the fruit you’ll find in our best-selling Winter Texas Two-Step gift box, which includes two each of our most popular winter citrus and orchard fruits), you’re giving a gift of good health.
Send Fruits They May Not Have Tried
Winter is Navel Orange season and Grapefruit season – but it’s also Sumo Citrus season and Cara Cara Orange season! All our fruits are far superior to what you’ll find at a local grocery store, but if you’re looking for something a little more exotic for your loved ones, now’s a great time to try some of our more unusual offers. Here are just a few:
- Sumo Citrus. A relative newcomer to North America, Sumo Citrus fruit is easy to identify – as big as a softball with a bumpy rind and a distinctive topknot like those worn by Japanese sumo wrestlers (from which the fruit gets its name), Sumo Citrus is a hybrid of a satsuma, a mandarin, and a sweet orange. Sumo Citrus are seedless, easy to peel, and super sweet in flavor with less citric acid than most citrus fruits (so there’s not so much “tang”).
- Many Pittman & Davis customers wait all year, to buy Honeybells, and when you’ve tasted one you’ll see why! Named for their tangy-sweet flavor and distinctive bell shape, Honeybells are an orange lover’s orange, easy-to-peel, ultra-juicy, and with tons of bright flavor that will leave you wanting more. There’s only one downside – their season is super short (just a few weeks), so order while you can!
- Cara Cara Oranges. A fruit that looks as wonderful as it tastes, Cara Cara Navel Oranges hide a surprise inside! The result of the cross-pollination of a Washington Navel Orange and a Brazilian Bahia Navel Orange, Cara Cara Orange are seedless, round, and have a bright orange, shiny peel. You’ll notice the difference between a Cara Cara and a Classic Navel as soon as you peel it, however, because the Cara Cara Orange has pinky-red flesh. This is due to the presence of lycopene (a beneficial antioxidant) in the fruit which also gives it its unique flavor. Cara Caras are less tangy than the Classic Navel, and are a great gift for those who like their citrus to be on the sweeter side.
Looking for more great fruit gift ideas? Pittman & Davis offers even more quality citrus fruits (along with gourmet foods, sweets, and savories) on our website. You can buy your loved ones’ favorite fruits alone in an assortment like those found in our Winter Texas Two Step You can even subscribe your loved one to one of our Monthly Fruit Clubs so they can enjoy fresh, in-season fruit for months!
Convinced yet? Make your winter birthday shopping easier with a beautiful fresh fruit gift from Pittman & Davis. Your loved ones will thank you!
Shop all Fruit Gifts>>
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now