10 Fun Facts about Navel Oranges
Navel oranges are one of the healthiest fruits, filled with Vitamin C, fiber and potassium, and also low in calories. Consuming navel oranges more often may protect against heart disease, cancer and diabetes, and help to improve memory, blood pressure, the immune system and overall health.
1. Fresh navel oranges are one of the most popular, fresh-eating varieties.
2. The name of the fruit “orange” was coined in the 1300s before the color “orange” was named in the1500s.
3. Oranges act as a deodorizer: When your garbage disposal smells, place orange peels in the disposal, and let it run 30 seconds. You can also place orange peels in garbage bags, shoes or socks if they have a bad odor.
4. A new study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that daily consumption of 100 percent fresh-squeezed orange juice may be beneficial to brain function in older adults.
5. Oranges can aid in hair growth. The high Vitamin C content in fresh navel oranges attributes to collagen production, which helps to keep the tissues of the hair together and may help to reduce bald patches.
6. The original navel orange was discovered growing as a mutation on a sweet orange tree in Brazil. Seeds were brought to California, where a navel orange tree produced its first fruit.
7. Orange peels are effective for whitening teeth and even eliminating bad breath. Rub the inside of an orange peel over teeth to whiten your pearly whites, and chew on orange peels instead of gum for better breath.
8. Oranges may help asthma sufferers. Because oranges are rich in Vitamin C, they can help with improved lung function.
9. Oranges can aid in burning fat and weight loss. Their water and Vitamin C content may aid in speeding up metabolism.
10. Oranges can eliminate muscle soreness. Because navel oranges supply 100 percent of the daily requirement of Vitamin C, they may help with achy muscles in runners and athletes.