Pittman & Davis Pineapple Upside Down Cake2021-05-03
Is there any summer cake so delicious as Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Lovely slices of tangy-sweet pineapple become caramelized and keep this cake moist and delectable long after it has cooled. Enjoy alone, with wonderful hot coffee, or add a slice of French vanilla ice cream!
For the topping:
¼ c. butter, melted
½ c. brown sugar, tightly packed
10 Pittman & Davis Paradise Pineapple rings/slices, patted dry
Maraschino cherries (optional)
For the cake:
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
¾ c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Pour melted butter into 10″ pie plate or deep cake pan, making sure it entirely covers the bottom of the pan. Use a spoon or spatula to spread butter over sides of pan.
- For the topping: Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter mixture. Arrange whole pineapple slices on bottom of pan covered. Slice remaining slices in half and arrange upright along sides of pan. Place a cherry in centers of pineapple rings and as desired in empty spaces. Set aside.
- For the cake: Beat butter and sugar in medium-sized bowl until creamy and well blended. Add eggs, beating one at a time until combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternate adding flour and milk to wet ingredients, starting and ending with flour and mixing until just combined after each addition. Pour batter evenly over prepared cake pan and pineapple/cherry layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Loosely cover with foil and continue to bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with few crumbs.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then carefully invert cake onto serving platter. Allow to cool until just slightly warm before serving.