This fragrant, cheesy dish is perfect for fall. Crunchy walnuts plus the sweet, sliced Pittman & Davis pears of your choice give rich, creamy, savory risotto an autumnal twist. So rich and flavorful, this delicious comfort dish is a meal all by itself. Store leftovers in the fridge up to two days in an airtight container.
For the risotto:
5 c. vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 small shallot, diced fine
1⅛ c. short-grained risotto rice
½ c. Gorgonzola cheese, shredded
¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the topping:
1 Pittman & Davis Pear, cored and sliced thin
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
• Bring vegetable stock to a simmer in a saucepan.
• Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add shallot and sauté until soft and translucent (2-4 minutes).
• Add two tablespoons of butter to skillet. Once butter is melted add rice. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon until rice is slightly transparent and coated with butter.
• Using a ladle, spoon two or three scoops of warmed vegetable stock to rice and bring to a simmer. Stir gently until liquid is absorbed, do not allow rice to dry out.
• Add stock, one ladle-full at a time, to stock, stirring frequently until rice is al-dente (18-20 minutes).
• Meanwhile, melt two tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add pears and walnuts and sauté until pears are slightly browned (2-3 minutes each side).
• Once rice is cooked, remove from heat. Stir in two tablespoons of butter, parmesan, and gorgonzola. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Top risotto with pears and walnuts and serve.