Sea Scallops with Rio Ruby™ Red Grapefruit2021-10-07
Citrus always adds bright flavor to succulent shellfish, and this recipe makes use of sweet-tart, vibrant grapefruit! Low in saturated fat and cholesterol, this dressy dish is elevated by Rio Ruby™ Grapefruit, which acts as a tangy platform for the seared scallops.
½ tsp. honey
¼ tsp. lemon juice
½” fresh ginger, peeled
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. sea scallops, halved
¼ tsp. coarse salt
1 c. arugula sprouts
Freshly ground pepper
- Remove peel and pith from each grapefruit. Holding the grapefruit over a bowl, carve out the flesh between the membranes, letting the segments drop into bowl (there should be about 2 cups). Squeeze membranes over bowl. Strain juice into a measuring cup. Transfer ½-cup juice to a saucepan; discard remaining juice.
- For the dressing: Add honey, lemon juice, and ginger to pan with juice. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let cool completely. Discard ginger. Gradually whisk in 1 tablespoon oil until emulsified.
- Lay scallops cut-side-up on a rimmed baking sheet; season with ? teaspoon salt. Heat remaining oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops, seasoned side down; cook until edges are browned (about 4 minutes). Flip and cook 30 seconds more. Set aside.
- Toss arugula sprouts with 1 tablespoon dressing in a small bowl; set aside.
- Divide grapefruit segments among four serving plates. Top each with sprouts and seared scallops, dividing evenly. Drizzle each plate with 1 tablespoon dressing, and season with remaining ? teaspoon salt and pepper.