The Significance of Valentine’s Day
February 14 is coming up fast! Ever wonder how Valentine’s Day got its start? Observed in many parts of the world, this ancient holiday is the time when candy, flowers, and other gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine.
Valentine’s Day contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman traditions. The name “Valentine” or “Valentinus” could refer to any of three different saints recognized by the Catholic Church, all of whom were martyred. One legend recounts the story of a 3rd Century priest who defied Emperor Claudius II’s decree against marriage for young men (he believed single men made better soldiers). St. Valentine of Terni, believed to have been imprisoned for helping Christians escape Roman prisons, was said to have fallen in love with his jailor’s daughter, signing a letter to her “from your Valentine.” Still another Valentine was believed to have dropped messages of love and hope from his prison window to early Christians in Rome. Over time Valentine’s Day traditions morphed and grew, including elements of the ancient Roman ritual of Lupercalia that welcomed spring to the card-giving customs of Victorian England.
Remember sending Valentines to classmates in elementary school? In recent decades it has grown beyond a celebration for romantic couples to a time to express love and affection for anyone and everyone who makes our lives special. Thus, along with those searching for Valentine’s Day gift for her or him are those looking for Valentine’s gifts for parents, grandparents, children, friends, and more.
Valentine’s Day Gifts They’ll Love
Puzzling over what to get your Valentine this year? You’ve probably been down the traditional road (flowers, chocolates, romantic dinners) in years past, but if you’re looking for something different, Pittman & Davis can help! Here are some of our most popular gourmet and fruit gifts that will delight your Valentine with their ingenuity while still giving a nod to those old, beloved traditions.
Gifts of Fruit
More flowers are sent on Valentine’s Day that at almost any other time of the year, and no wonder – they’re pretty, colorful, sweet-smelling, and a great way to brighten a dull winter’s day. The downside is that they don’t last long. Fruit gift baskets, however, have everything flowers do plus great taste! And they’ll also save your loved one from having to make a grocery store run.
From being rich in vitamins to containing powerful antioxidants, there are so many benefits of incorporating fresh fruit into your diet. Next time you’re looking to send a sweet treat think of fresh fruit gifts by mail, which contains natural, unprocessed sugars!
Here are some great food gifts to send for Valentine’s Day:
- Honeybells, Starting at $34.99. Why send your honey chocolates on Valentine’s Day when you can send Honeybells instead? Fresh from our Florida citrus groves, the Honeybell Orange is a cross between a tangerine and a pomelo and makes a healthy gift everyone can enjoy.
- Navels, Ruby Reds & Honeybells, Starting at $34.99. Honeybells aren’t the only fresh fruits for sale at Pittman & Davis – or the only citrus treats! Ruby Red Grapefruit is always a hit with health nuts because it’s plump, thin-skinned, and dripping with sweet nectar, while Navel Oranges are a tangy-sweet, seedless treat everyone loves.
- Winter Sweet Petits, Only $32.99. Citrus and orchard fruits in miniature are sure to bring smiles! Small in size bug big in flavor is this collection of Ruby Gems, Tiny Tim Navels, Lil’ Princess Pears, and Miniature Fuji Apples.
Sweets for the Sweet
Sweeten your loved one’s day with indulgent bakery gifts for Valentine’s Day! Whether your Valentine prefers chocolate or cheesecake, you’re sure to find something to delight. (And if he or she is the healthy type or following a specific diet, we can help with that, too):
- Sweetheart Truffles, Only $29.99.Shake up your tradition of giving your sweetheart chocolates for Valentine’s Day with these delectable truffles. Created in our candy kitchen with milk and dark chocolate and decorated with pink hearts tulips, each one is as beautiful as it is delicious.
- Sweetheart Cookies & Honeybells, Only $39.99. Send your sweetheart something uniquely fresh and delicious – half a dozen of our famously sweet and juicy Mini Honeybells nestled in with six small-batch, freshly baked soft sugar cookies topped with buttercream frosting. They will adore you for it.
- Creamy Citrus Cheesecake, $49.99. Indulge them with this velvety cheesecake! Made of world-famous New York Cheesecake with Pittman & Davis’s own famous Honeybell flavor, this decadent cake is baked in a buttery graham-cracker crust and will be your Valentine’s new favorite from the first bite.
Top Affordable Gifts
Do you need to stick to a budget this Valentine’s Day? No worries – we offer plenty of impressive yet affordable ways for you to treat your Valentine. Here are some of our top budget-friendly favorites:
- Honey Mandarins, Only $36.99. If gold jewelry is outside your budget this season, these honey-gold mandarins are the next best thing. Bursting with rich, sweet, flavorful juice, these fresh treats peel easily and are shipped at their peak of ripeness. Your Valentine will love them as a snack at home or at work!
- Chocolate-Covered Bing Cherries & Blueberries, Starting at $32.99. Blueberry and Bing cherry chocolates are the ultimate food gift! Full of healthful antioxidants, the chewy texture of the sweet-tart dried fruit is complemented perfectly with milk, dark, and white chocolate.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, Only $34.99. Part cookie, part pie, this dessert is totally delicious. Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies, but you’re Valentine will fall in love all over again with this Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie that delivers the best of both worlds. A cookie crust on the top and bottom surrounds a milk chocolate center dotted with white and dark chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
Shop all Valentine’s Day Gifts>>
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now