Why is Pear Season so Special?
Fall is the perfect time for finding fresh pears for sale, and no matter how you plan to use them, you’ll find premium pears from Pittman & Davis that are sheer “pear-fection!”
Why do pears so often come second to apples as the quintessential fall fruit? After all, they’re both orchard fruits, very nutritious and supremely delicious. They can also be easily be dried, frozen, and preserved in other ways quite easily so you can enjoy them all year round. People may hesitate to buy pears for a couple of reasons: first, local grocery chain stores may be limited in the varieties of pear they offer. Second, it can be a bit confusing about how best to enjoy pears fresh.
The Secret to Enjoying a Perfectly Ripe Pear
Unlike our other fruits which are harvested at their peak of ripeness, pears by mail from Pittman & Davis often arrive slightly underripe. This is because pears are best if picked while still firm, then cooled quickly prior to shipping. When we ship pears to you, some may be ready to enjoy immediately, but most usually take a few days to fully ripen. You may help them along by storing them in a brown paper bag at moderate room temperature (65-70°F) until they pass the ripeness test. A pear is considered ripe and ready to eat when it yields to gentle thumb pressure at the stem end. Once ripened, store pears in the refrigerator for up to a week until you’re ready to enjoy them.
Different Pear Varieties from Pittman & Davis
With so many different pear varieties online, you’ll want to make sure your pear delivery contains the right pears both for your taste and for the types of recipes you’re preparing. Here are just a few of the varieties of pears shipped from Pittman & Davis that show up in our pear gift baskets each season:
- D’Anjou Pears. Bright green with a red blush, these sweet, juicy pears are one of America’s favorite varieties. Great for snacking, these pears have a citrusy undertone and are very versatile, making them excellent in salads or even in recipes. Their firm texture make them great for grilling, poaching, sauteing and more.
- New Asian Pears. One of the firmer textured pears, these fruits aren’t great for cooking, but who cares? Luscious and juicy, these round pears have a faint flavor of citrus and golden raisins, and are delicious peeled or with the peel. A great addition to charcuterie trays, Asian pears pair well with a pinot grigio or chardonnay.
- Bartlett Pears. Bartlett Pears are perfect for snacking, packing in lunches, and slicing into salads. Juicy with a smooth, sweet and buttery texture, these pears are very juicy and aromatic. They also break down very well, making them ideal for making sauces, jams, or fruit butter. They can also be incorporated into soups or smoothies or spooned on top of yogurt and oatmeal.
- Comice Pears. Grown exclusively in the Hood River Valley in Oregon, our King Comice Pears are succulent, buttery, and very sweet and juicy. Their creamy texture make makes them famous and very sought-after as gifts. A pear and cheese basket containing Comice Pears is always welcome!
- Starkrimson Pears. Their brilliant scarlet hue make them a holiday favorite, but their tender, sweet inside seals the deal. Sweet and juicy with a smooth texture, our Starkrimson Pears are great for eating out of hand, or slice them into salads to show off their cheery color. These pears are fragrant with a subtle, floral aroma.
Wondering what to do with all your pear gifts? Fresh, uncooked pears complement many foods, including cheese, nuts, and vegetables. Serve slices of pear from your pear gift baskets along with apples and crackers on a cheeseboard to your guests or add slices of pear to a grilled cheese sandwich. Love Hawaiian pizza? Swap out the chopped pineapple for chopped pear instead! A fruit salad including pears makes a wonderful snack, salad, or dessert. The options are endless, so order pears online from Pittman & Davis for yourself or someone else today!
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now