Is Watermelon Healthy?
Does anything taste more summery than cool, crisp, sweet watermelon? What would a 4th of July picnic be without it? Light and refreshing, watermelon is a perfect antidote to hot, sultry summer days. But is watermelon good for you?
Health Benefits of Watermelon
Made up mostly of water (over 90%) and with just 45 calories in a one-cup serving, watermelon is an excellent snack or dessert if you want to lose weight, maintain your weight, or just don’t want to feel heavy and weighed down after a meal. In fact, because watermelon is so light many people assume that it has little to no nutritional value. This is not true – fact, watermelon is very healthy!
Health benefits of watermelon include:
- High water content. Watermelon helps you rehydrate and feel full.
- Cancer-fighting compounds. Watermelon contains cucurbitacin E and lycopene, both of which are thought to help prevent cancer.
- Heart-healthy components. Watermelon citrulline and other vitamins and minerals shown to lower your risk of heart attack or stroke.
- Reduces inflammation. Lycopene and vitamin C are both essential for reducing inflammation, which is linked to many chronic diseases. Watermelon is high in both antioxidants.
- Protects eyesight. The lycopene in watermelon protects against age-related macular degeneration.
- Exercise recovery. Citrulline can reduce sore muscles, which is why many athletes choose to drink watermelon juice after exercising.
- Protects hair and skin. Several nutrients in watermelon work to keep your skin supple and protect you from sunburn.
- Improves digestion. In addition to its high-water content, watermelon is also rich in fiber.
These are just a few samples of watermelon nutrition! In addition, a one-cup serving of watermelon gives you 21% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C, and 18% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A.
Watermelon for One (or Two)
Maybe you love watermelon, but you don’t often indulge your taste for it during the summer because you have a small family and worry it will go to waste. Well, we have good news for you…there are over 1,000 types of the fruit, and some of these are made up of small watermelon varieties. That includes Pittman & Davis’s own Personal Watermelon!
Our Personal Watermelon is light, crisp, cool and oh-so-refreshing…a perfect pick-me-up on a hot summer’s day! You don’t have to worry about this small watermelon going off after you cut into it because you’ll finish it long before that happens. But don’t worry…its small size doesn’t mean it’s short on flavor. In fact, its delightfully sweet taste is worthy of a watermelon many times its size. Plus, it’s virtually seedless!