Brown Betty with Pears Recipe2020-10-27
The delicious aroma of this cinnamon-spiced pear dessert will permeate your whole house. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream if you like!
- 4 slices whole wheat or sour dough bread, torn into quarters
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- A pinch of salt
- 3 lbs. Pittman & Davis Pears, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/4 cup pear nectar
- Add bread, 3 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar into a food processor; pulse 8-12 times until coarsely ground.
- Add mixture to a 12-inch skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown (about 10 minutes). Transfer mixture to a paper-towel lined plate; wipe out skillet.
- Combine remaining sugar, salt and spices in a small bowl. Melt 1½ tablespoons of remaining butter in skillet over high heat. Add half of the pears and half of the sugar-spice mixture. Cook about 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned; transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining pears.
- Add the first batch of pears back to skillet along with pear nectar. Cook until reduced and thickened, about 5-10 minutes, scraping the bottom of the skillet to remove any browned bits.
- Stir 1/4 cup of the bread mixture into the pears. Spread the remaining mixture on top of the pears. Serve warm.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe