Grapefruit Yogurt Cake Recipe2019-02-22
The grapefruit originated as an accidental cross between a pomelo and a sweet orange. The sweet Ruby Red and Pink Grapefruits from Texas have become favorites among this delicious and healthy citrus fruit. This grapefruit yogurt cake is a delicious way to enjoy the zesty, nutritious grapefruit.
- Helps boost the immune system as it contains high amount of Vitamin C that has antioxidant properties and protects cells from viruses and bacteria.
- Grapefruit can help in curbing appetite because it contains high amounts of fiber which promotes satiety. The same fiber slows down the time which your stomach empties thus increasing digestion time.
- Eating grapefruit can help improve heart health as it reduces heart disease and high blood pressure risk factors. Keep in mind though that if you are taking medication, check with your doctor about food and medicine interaction.
How to make Grapefruit Yogurt Cake
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar divided
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed Pittman & Davis Grapefruit juice
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all well incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup grapefruit juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and grapefruit juice and drizzle over the cake.