Planning a holiday dinner menu can be daunting, especially if we are hosting and cooking the holiday dinner. Of course, we all want our holiday guests to enjoy the party we are hosting and would like to serve mouth-watering dishes they will never forget. Most holiday dishes are heavy and we often want to prepare something fresh and light to balance out the heavy stuff that we will be putting on our plates. Salad is the answer, as long as it is festive, flavorful, and appealing to everyone.
Let us not go for our regular greens. This holiday let us prepare a Holiday Citrus Salad that is bright and colorful, features a variety of winter citrus fruits, and excites our guests.
How to make Holiday Citrus Salad
Prep Time: 10 mins
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 Pittman & Davis Clementines
- 1 Pittman & Davis Ruby Red Grapefruit
- 1 Pittman & Davis Navel Orange
- ½ small red onion or 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Lime or lemon juice to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly chopped tarragon or a pinch dried
- Peel citrus, removing as much pith as possible, and slice into wheels. Remove any pits, layer fruit on a serving dish, sprinkle with salt and garnish with chopped onion.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, lime juice and tarragon until well combined; taste, adjust seasoning as needed, and drizzle over salad.