Grapefruit Poppy Seed Bread Recipe2020-01-16
Bread has been part of our daily diet since ancient times, dating back to the Neolithic era. Way back then, bread was flat and was made of grain-paste from ground cereal grains mixed with water. Leavened bread can also be traced back to prehistoric times. In 4000 B.C. Egyptians were said to have discovered the process of leavening bread and used grape juice and flour to make a paste for bread making.
Bread making today
Bread making has become an art and it is no longer just made with flour or grain, leavening agent and water. People now make use of different ingredients like eggs, salt, sugar, fat, fruits, custard, cinnamon, vanilla, etc, and bake them into varying shapes, colors and sizes.
Grapefruit in Bread
Grapefruit used to be considered by many as an acquired taste because of its sour flavor. However, due to the discovery of the sweet, red-fleshed Grapefruit variety patented as the Ruby Red Grapefruit, this fruit has become America’s favorite breakfast. Now, because of its taste and numerous health benefits, Americans can’t get enough of the fruit and are even using it to make the world staple food – bread.
How to make Grapefruit Poppy Seed Bread
Prep Time: 15 mins
Bake: 55 mins
Yields: 1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated grapefruit zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1-1/3 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, poppy seeds, grapefruit zest and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 9×5-in. loaf pan. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix grapefruit juice and remaining sugar.
- Remove bread from oven. Immediately poke holes in bread with a fork; slowly pour juice mixture over bread. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread.