Grapefruit Tart with Pistachio Crust2020-11-09
Dessert and tea go hand-in-hand, but you may not be in the mood for something overly sweet. This refreshing tart offers a nice balance to a summertime afternoon tea!
- 3 large grapefruit, juiced (about 1½ c.)
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. butter, cut into cubes
- 3 drops natural red food coloring
- 1¾ c. graham cracker crumbs (or 1 sleeve)
- 1/3 c. pistachios, shelled
- 1 c. sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ c. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Break up graham crackers and add to food processor along with pistachios, ¼ cup sugar and salt. Add butter gradually while processor is running until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Press mixture into a greased tart pan and bake for 8 minutes (or until cooked through).
- Combine remaining sugar with cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add juice, cooking until thickened and bubbly while stirring constantly. Whisk in a few tablespoons of the hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat and add in butter pieces. Whisk until melted. Stir in food coloring.
- Pour the mixture into cooled crust and smooth top. Chill in the fridge at 4 hours. Top with more crushed pistachios and serve.