Get ready for a cozy, autumn-inspired meal featuring the delightful combination of tender roasted duck, Pittman & Davis’ Fuji apples, and zesty Navel oranges. This recipe is all about warmth, comfort, and delicious flavors.
- 1 (5-pound) duck
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Navel orange, halved
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2/3 cups dry white wine
- 3 Fuji apples, cut into wedges
- 2 Navel oranges, cut into wedges
- 4 figs, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Rosemary sprigs
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. To prepare duck, rinse duck under cold water; pat dry.
3. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in body cavity. Place onion, celery and garlic in cavity; tie ends of legs together with string. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under duck.
4. Place duck on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place rack in pan. Rub cut sides of orange halves over duck; drizzle with melted butter. Pierce skin over breast several times with a fork.
5. Bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until a thermometer registers 180°F, basting every 30 minutes with white wine.
6. Remove from oven; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Increase oven temperature to 475°F. Add apples, oranges, figs and chopped rosemary to the roasting pan and pour remaining wine evenly over duck and fruit.
7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until apples and figs are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve fruit with duck and garnish platter with rosemary sprigs.
You can substitute chicken broth for the white wine, if desired.