What is the best summer fruit?
Hot days, humidity, and rain are all indicators that summer is upon us. With the temperature rising each day, it is imperative that we pay attention to our health and fitness. But being healthy does not mean we have to say goodbye to tasty food. In fact, being healthy means eating the most delicious foods.
Summer Fruit to Keep Around
The perfect fruits to have on hand are those that are at their peak. In other words, summer fruits are in season. The list of best summer fruits include those that are awesome for eating out of hand, great for making refreshing smoothies, tasty enough to add to fresh salads, and last but not the least, healthful.
- Georgia Peaches – Peaches originated in Northwest China, are delectably juicy, and are best eaten out of hand. They are healthful, delicious, and versatile. You can toss them in a salad, use them for making cobbler or pie, or to add flavor to grilled meat like duck, sliced ham, and pork chops. You can also use nectarines if you prefer eating a naturally sweet version without the fuzz.
- Peach Nutritional Value: 59 calories, 14 grams carbohydrates, 1.4 grams protein, 0.4 gram fat, 2.3 grams fiber, 10 milligrams vitamin C (16 percent DV), 489 IU vitamin A (9 percent DV), 285 milligrams potassium (8 percent DV), 14 milligrams magnesium (3 percent DV), 0.4 milligram iron (2 percent DV)
- Mangoes – an ancient tropical fruit from Southern Asia that is the national fruit of Philippines, India, and Pakistan. Mangos are exquisitely creamy, yellow-colored fruits with taste characterized as a cross between pineapples and oranges. Mangoes are not tart, and have a hint of peach with texture like that of cantaloupe and avocado. Mangoes are best eaten out of hand but can be used to make fruit shakes, smoothies and fruit salads.
- Mango Nutritional Value: 100 calories, 28 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 0.8 grams of protein, 46 milligrams of vitamin C (76 percent daily value (DV)), 1262 IU of vitamin A (35 percent DV), 23.1 micrograms of folate (20 percent DV), 0.2 milligrams of vitamin B6 ( 11 percent DV), 1.8 milligrams of vitamin E (9 percent DV), 0.2 milligrams of copper (9 percent DV), 6.9 micrograms of vitamin K (8 percent DV), 257 milligrams of potassium (7 percent DV).
- Pineapples – a tasty fruit from the tropics that resembles the pine cone it is named after. Though its name may imply, pineapples are neither not pine cones nor apples. They are a mass of conjoined berries fused to a single stalk. Pineapples have a vibrant tropical flavor with a well-balanced taste that is both sweet and tart. You can eat pineapples fresh, make into a sorbet or ice cream, add in salads, bake into a tart, or use pineapple juice for marinades and sauces.
- Pineapple Nutritional Value: bromelain, protein, carbohydrates, sugar, and soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Vitamins found are vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene, thiamin, vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6, and folate. Mineral content are potassium, copper, manganese, calcium, sodium, and magnesium.
- Watermelons – called the ambassador of summer and the most in-demand fruit during the summer season. Watermelons have a refreshing, clean taste and their water content (92%) is enough to hydrate you even during the driest and hottest day of the summer season.
- Watermelon Nutritional Value: Vitamins A, B6, C, amino acids, dietary fibers, calcium, iron etc, plus high level of lycopene and a great source of hydration.
- Cherries – these delectably goodies gush sweet juice once you pop them in your mouth. You can eat sweet cherries like Bing Cherries, Queen Anne Cherries, or Rainer Cherries fresh out of hand, stuff them in a pie or pastry, boil them with sugar for jellies, or turn into an ice cream sauce.
- Cherry Nutritional Value (1 cup of Bing Cherries) – 74 calories, 1 gram of protein, no fat, 19 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber and 15 grams of sugar.
This summer, treat everyone on your list with healthy fruit gifts. When you do, you will know you are giving a nutritious gift that is from the heart.
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now