Grapefruit Grilled Chicken Recipe2018-10-31
Using citrus in marinades and sauces is a great way to add fresh flavors to many meats, salads, and seafood. In this easy recipe, grapefruit and chicken combine with the flam-kissed flavor of the grill to create a zesty dish that is sure to please.
How to make Grapefruit Grilled Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Pittman & Davis Ruby Red Grapefruit
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- Squeeze and strain the juice of one grapefruit into a bowl. Add brown sugar and honey, then whisk to combine. Peel and slice the other grapefruit by placing the grapefruit on its side (with the stem and bottom ends facing left and right). Cut the fruit by first removing the top and bottom to about ¼ inch deep at each end. Then cut the grapefruit into slices that are about ½ inch thick. This will yield 4 to 5 round cross-sections of fruit. Lay each slice flat on the cutting board and cut away the skin. Remove any seeds and cut each circle of fruit in half.
- Place the slices on the bottom of a saute pan. Cover slices with ½ of the grapefruit juice mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and allow to slightly thicken while simmering and stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Cover the sauce and set aside.
- To the remaining grapefruit juice mixture, add olive oil, salt, and pepper and stir well. Place chicken breasts in a zip-closure plastic bag, cover with the grapefruit juice marinade, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oiled grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Using tongs remove chicken from bag, and place on grill. Discard marinade. Cook chicken for about 4 minutes per side or until fully cooked and done throughout. While chicken is grilling, you can warm up the grapefruit sauce with fruit slices you made earler. Remove grilled chicken and place on a serving platter. Cover with sauce and serve as a main dish.