Pittman & Davis Soy Sauce & Citrus Marinated Chicken Recipe2021-01-11
Pomelo packs a punch in this Soy Sauce and Citrus Marinated Chicken. But not an overpowering one – sweeter and milder than grapefruit, you’ll want to dip your fork into the tasty sauce again and again. Not just for chicken – the citrusy sauce also works well with pork!
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (2″) piece fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 cup mixed fresh Pittman & Davis citrus juice
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 (3½–4 lbs.) whole chicken, halved, backbone removed
- Kosher salt
Dipping sauce and assembly:
- 1 lemongrass stalk, top third removed
- 2 shallots, halved
- 2 scallions, dark green tops removed
- 1 red chili (such as Fresno)
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 (1″) piece ginger, peeled, very finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 pomelo
- Cilantro sprigs (for serving)
To prepare the chicken:
- Combine garlic, ginger, citrus juice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl. Place chicken halves in a large, re-sealable plastic bag and add marinade. Seal bag, pressing out any air. Chill at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
- Place rack in top third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Pat chicken dry with paper towels; season lightly with salt.
- Roast chicken on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet until deep brown and cooked through, 30–40 minutes.
To prepare the dipping sauce:
- Bruise lemongrass stalk by lightly crushing with a rolling pin. Bring lemongrass and ½ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and let sit until very fragrant (8–10 minutes). Strain lemongrass infusion into a large measuring glass.
- Heat a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high. Toast shallots, scallions, chili, and garlic, tossing occasionally, until dark brown in spots (8–10 minutes). Let cool. Remove skins from garlic and coarsely chop garlic with shallots, scallions, and chili.
- Add garlic, shallots, scallions, chili and ginger to lemongrass infusion. Stir in fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from pomelo; discard. Working over a medium bowl, cut along sides of membranes to release segments. Squeeze juice from membranes into bowl; discard. Tear segments into large pieces. Mix into dipping sauce.
- Transfer chicken to a platter, spoon some dipping sauce over, and top with cilantro. Serve with remaining dipping sauce alongside.