A delicious and refreshing fruit tart, made for any spring or early summer gathering, is an excellent way to use up any of our sweet, juicy and delicious Rio Ruby™ Red Grapefruit you might have left over. (You can even store your fruit to use for this or other dishes later!) The fresh fruit is the star of the show here, so feel free to use a pre-baked pie shell for ease…the finished dessert will look no less elegant, and your guests will love a lighter-tasting dessert option on warm days.
1 pre-baked pie shell, 9″
1 c. fresh strawberries
1 c. water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
¾ c. sugar
Whipped cream and fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Section grapefruit, removing the membranes. Place whole grapefruit slices in a colander and allow to drain at least 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine water and strawberries. Bring to a boil, crushing strawberries into pulp. Simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Press strawberry pulp through a mesh strainer, reserving juice and discarding remaining pulp.
- Return strawberry juice to saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch and sugar. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until a thick gel forms. Remove from heat.
- Divide grapefruit sections and strawberry gel into thirds. Spread ⅓ of the gel over the pie shell. Reserving one portion of grapefruit sections, layer remaining grapefruit sections and strawberry gel into the prepared pie crust, starting with the grapefruit and ending with gel. Cover pie with plastic and refrigerate three hours or until ready to serve.
- Remove pie from refrigerator and add remaining portion of grapefruit sections for garnish. Top with whipped cream and/or mint leaves if desired and serve immediately.