Ruby Red Grapefruit Mulled Wine
With the cold nights of winter upon us and Christmas festivities in full swing, nothing beats a spicy, steaming glass of mulled wine to warm your nights and uplift the spirits of your holiday parties. The delicious smell of the mulled wine is enough to make any home feel festive.
The traditional holiday treat “Mulled Wine” originated from the Old World and was first recorded in Rome during the second century. As the Romans travelled across Europe, they brought with them their culture and shared it with the rest of the world. Thanks to them the idea of mulling wine did not get buried in history and we still get to enjoy this delectable winter delight.
Through the years the art of making mulled wine has evolved and this holiday drink can now be made with different ingredients. Make this delicious Ruby Red Grapefruit Mulled Wine to thrill your guests at your next gathering.
How to make Ruby Red Grapefruit Mulled Wine
Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready In: 60 mins
- 1 750 ml bottle of red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 Pittman & Davis Ruby Red Grapefruit sliced in ¼ inch thick rings
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- 1/2 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Cointreau (or other orange flavored liqueur)
- extra cinnamon stick for garnish
- Pittman & Davis Ruby Red Grapefruit wedges for garnish
- In a large saucepan add wine, water, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, grapefruit slices, and nutmeg.
- Heat on medium high heat until just before boiling – watch carefully.
- Turn heat down to low and lightly simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add Cointreau
- Increase to medium-low heat and gently reheat the liquid without boiling.
- Strain liquid into a large measuring cup or glass pitcher.
- Serve warm or room temperature in festive glasses.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks and grapefruit wedges.