Ruby Red Grapefruit Cheese Dip Recipe2018-10-22
Did you know that grapefruit (the wonder-fruit) which is known for its powerful health benefits, was initially treated like a pariah among other citrus fruits when introduced to the United States?
Grapefruit was first discovered in the 18th century in the Caribbean as the result of an accidental hybrid between pomelo and sweet orange. This is one of the few citrus fruits that did not hail from Asia where most other citrus fruits originated. People did not take an immediate liking to grapefruit since they found it too acidic and bitter for their taste.
Decades passed and people still had no inkling to buy grapefruits on a regular basis like they did sweet oranges. It was only after the greatest mutation in the history of citrus fruits that grapefruits became the center of attention – a red-fleshed, juicy, tangy and sweet-tasting fruit (later named Ruby Red Grapefruit) was found growing on a branch of a pink grapefruit tree in 1920. Thanks to the discovery of this unique and delicious fruit, the flagging Texas Citrus Industry was given a boost. This recipe for Ruby Red Grapefruit Cheese Dip is sure to please.
How to make Ruby Red Grapefruit Cheese Dip
Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready in: 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 cup 100% Texas Grapefruit Juice (From Pittman & Davis Ruby Red Grapefruit)
- 3 cups finely shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) goat cheese or cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon fresh minced rosemary
- 1 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (optional)
- Pittman & Davis Grapefruit slices for garnish (optional)
- In a food processor, place cheddar cheese, goat cheese, pepper, rosemary and grapefruit juice and process until smooth. Place mixture in covered container then refrigerate for an hour. Stir in pumpkin seeds and add grapefruit slices as garnish before serving with crackers, celery sticks, or toasted bread points.